Cranberry and Orange Hot Cross Buns
You Will Need:*Proofing time will vary depending on where the dough is placed, this step is critical in bread making to ensure the yeast produces sufficient aeration so that the baked bread develops a light even texture. SHORTCUT: The dough can be made using the dough setting on your bread machine. Follow the instructions on your bread machine manual to replace steps 1-3. Where available, place cranberries in the bread machine fruit and nut dispenser to ensure addition at the optimal stage of the kneading cycle.
- 1 x 500g Lighthouse Spiced Fruit Bread Mix sachet
- 1 x 6g yeast sachet (included in pack)
- 170ml milk
- 130ml water
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 50ml water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Place the contents of the bread mix sachet and yeast sachet in a large bowl, stir in cranberries and orange zest. Add water and milk and mix to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, knead for 8-10 minutes (applying extra flour to prevent the dough sticking) until the dough is soft and elastic. Alternatively use the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer.
- Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth then leave in a warm place until dough doubles in size (45 -60 mins*).
- Preheat oven to 220˚C (200˚C fan forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead lightly for 1 minute. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces (approx. 100g). Roll into rounds and place onto the prepared tray so they are just touching. Cover with a clean damp cloth then leave in a warm place until dough doubles in size again (approx. 30 mins).
- To make crosses, mix together flour and water to form a smooth paste. Spoon into a piping bag with a 5mm nozzle. Pipe crosses onto prepared buns.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To glaze the buns, place sugar and orange juice into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes until sugar is dissolved and syrup is thickened slightly. Brush glaze liberally over hot buns and allow to cool.