Oat and Date Loaf
Serves: 10Tip: ½ cup of plain, unsalted walnuts can also be added to the mixture.
- 60g Anchor Quick Oats
- ½ cup (40g) diced dates
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 2 tbsp (40ml) golden syrup
- 1 tbsp (20ml) sunflower oil
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¹⁄³ cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1 ¾ cup (260g) Lighthouse Self Raising Flour
- 1 (50g) egg
- Canola cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160 °C fan forced). Lightly grease and line the base of an 11cm x 21cm loaf pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add dates, golden syrup, sunflower oil and boiling water to a bowl, stand for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda into another mixing bowl, add quick oats and egg and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the date mixture to the bowl and mix until fully combined and pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve with reduced fat cream cheese or toasted with margarine spread.