Pear and Ginger Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup (150g) Lighthouse Biscuit, Pastry and Cake Plain Flour
- ⅓ cup (75g) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. golden syrup
- 2 tsp Spencers Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Spencers Mixed Spice
- ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp. crystallised ginger, finely diced
- 2 pears
- ¼ cup (56g) brown sugar, extra
- 20g cold butter, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced). Lightly grease and line the base of a 20cm round, deep cake tin.
- Combine the extra (¼ cup) brown sugar and diced butter, sprinkle evenly over the base of the prepared tin. Peel, core and slice pears into 16ths. Arrange pear slices to cover the base of the tin.
- Whisk together the sugars, melted butter, eggs, sour cream and golden syrup until well combined. Sift over the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda, add the crystallised ginger and stir until combined. Spread batter evenly over the pears.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn top side down onto a serving plate.