Classic White Loaf
- 3 cups (500g) Lighthouse Bread and Pizza Plain Flour
- 1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cups (330ml) lukewarm water
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the water. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined, then use your hands to bring together to form a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and place into a clean, lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in a warm place for 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 220˚C (200˚C fan forced).
- Turn dough out again onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a loaf and place into a lightly greased loaf tin or on a lined baking tray. Stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Brush loaf with the lightly beaten egg and score the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before slicing.